Open Lunar Science Working Group
The Open Lunar Science Working Group is a tentative working group active in the Geoscience domain within the OSGeo Open Geoscience Committee specifically created to contribute to all the Google Lunar XPRIZE teams by providing FOSS4G solutions and data.
- Eureka The moon is available
Provide tools and data for moon exploration.
- Vector data
- Projections & datum
- Case studies
- ISIS-GRASS - Apollo 12: https://peerj.com/preprints/2124/
- Research on materials and tools: (Rajan)
- Moon images and datasets available along with their licenses.
- ISIS: https://isis.astrogeology.usgs.gov
- GRASS Planetary: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Planetary_mapping
- Published papers.
- Frigeri, A, Hare, T, Neteler, M., Coradini, A, Federico, C, Orosei, R. (2011). A research environment for digital planetary data processing and mapping using ISIS and GRASS GIS. Planetary and Space Science, 59(11-12), pp.1265-1272
- collect available data
- provide open dataset
- call for a challenge
- Provide tutorial based on goals and audience:
- Measure distances between points.
- Create images mosaics.
- Routing for moon lander: shortest path, economical,...
- Geo-reference - case: someone with a telescope takes a pic, locate it in the moon map.
- Terrain visualization.
- Moon geomorphology
- VR simulation
- Add more
- Create logo. First draft available in Wiki as png, original svg available at OSGEOMoonEditionLogo.svg
Lost and Found
|FOSS4G2008_Demos||Internal existing material||Demos and supporting material, possible candidates to assist on the task.|