Quantum GIS Report 2008
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Contact name: Gary Sherman
- Two new versions of QGIS where released during 2008: 0.10 "Io" and 0.11 "Metis"
- Python plugin repositories were established for both official and user-contributed plugins
- By year end, the 1.0 "Kore" release branch had been established and the version was ready for packaging (release came in January 2009)
- The addition of Python bindings has continued to prompt community contribution of plugins that extend QGIS in new an interesting ways
- Paolo Cavallini was added to the Project Steering Committee and assumed the role of Financial/Marketing Advisor
- QGIS was well represented at FOSS4G2008
Areas for Improvement
- Packaging releases remains an area with room for improvement. Work is needed to streamline the process for releasing packages on all major platforms, with a specific need for:
Opportunities to Help
- QGIS is always looking for help in the form of translation, documentation, coding, and bug fixes.
Outlook for 2009
- The 1.0 API will provide a stable platform for developing plugins and standalone applications based on the QGIS libraries.
- Additional releases in the 1.x branch will improve the stability and include important bug fixes.
- Work will continue on the next generation QGIS with new and interesting features and capabilities.