- 1 About OSGeo Belgium
- 2 Activities
- 3 Past activities
- 3.1 2016 March 19 Mapps4ghent
- 3.2 2016 February 29 Open Belgium, Brussels
- 3.3 2016 February 27 Mapping party for homeless people, Brussels
- 3.4 2016 January 2016 misssing Maps mapathon in Ghent
- 3.5 2016 January 31 FOSDEM Geospatial devroom
- 3.6 2015 October 29th FOSS4G Belgium 2015 - Brussels
- 3.7 2015 February 1st FOSDEM geo track - Brussels
- 3.8 2014 November 6th beOpenGISfr - Brussels
- 3.9 2013 June 13th OSGeo Ghent - Ghent
- 4 Meetings
About OSGeo Belgium
Welcome to the wiki page of the Belgium OSGeo chapter.
Mission and objectives
After discussion amongst the active local chapter members we come to the following list of mission objectives:
- Community-building and networking around specific Belgian themes and within Belgian fora.
- Organisation of events
- These two mission statements are working together. We believe it is important to meet people face2face. To help them to start open source initiatives, to start using open source solutions, to establish an eco-system that benefits from the cooperation, the sharing and the co-creation open source delivers.
- We think it is important to speak as one voice, and to get involved with other organisations: administrations, industries, user groups, ... OSGeo. Be will actively speak as an organisation to defend the OSGeo open source spirit in the broader Belgium community (government, academic, industry, other open initiatives).
- Networking with other OSGeos (notably OSGeo-fr and OSGeo.nl)
- OSGeo Belgium will focus on local activities (Belgium based). OSGeo Belgium will advertise and promote other OSGeo initiatives and invite members of the other OSGeo chapters on the Belgium events or meetings.
- We think that OSGeo Belgium can act as a bridge between several language communities and cultures, because of it's unique composition.
- Support to higher levels of OSGeo
- We believe that OSGeo only can grow if supported from the base. So OSGeo Belgium is willing to help OSGeo where necessary, to leverage idea's or act as an advisor if appreciated.
- Support to OSGeo in lobbying European Union Institutions (Commission, Parliament, etc) related to specific EU-Themes (INSPIRE, H2020, Procurement policy, ...)
Articles of association
Becoming an OSGeo Belgium member
Everybody is free to join the Belgian local chapter, all you have to do is add your name to the list of members. It is strongly advised to also subscribe to the mailing list, as announcements about the general assembly and events are made there.
Alternatively you can fill out following form, this will automatically subscribe you to the mailing list, and you will be added to the list of members below:
Board of directors
Members of the board are chosen for a period of 3 years by the general assembly. All voting members are free to apply for a position in the board.
- Term 2015 - 2018
- Marc Ducobu (Treasurer)
- Dirk Frigne
- Gaël Kruwialis
- Oliver May
- Tommy Oozeer (Secretary)
- Johan Van de Wauw (President)
- Maëlle Vercauteren Drubbel
- Term 2017 - 2020
All members can become voting members by being introduced by two other voting members. Voting members are added once per year by the general assembly.
- Dirk Frigne - founding member of the Geomajas community
- Gaël Kruwialis - active member of the local FOSS momement in the Brussels area - contact with the Brussels administration
- Johan Van de Wauw - OSGeo Charter Member
- Maëlle Vercauteren Drubbel - contact with academic world and developing countries
- Marc Ducobu - liason with OSGeo.fr
- Moritz Lennert - GRASS GIS PSC Member, contact with academic world
- Oliver May - PSC member of the Geomajas project
- Tommy Oozeer - OSGeo Advocate
The Belgium OSGeo Chapter has the support of the following initial founding members (alphabetic - first name):
- Ben Abelhausen - liason with OSM - Belgium community
- Pieter Colpaert - link with the open knowledge foundation
- Ruben Capelle
Discussions are held on the dedicated mailing list. Next to the mailinglist there is a (board) meeting planned monthly, most of them trough digital communication. The meeting minutes can be found on this page.
History of OSGeo Belgium
During the last FOSDEM Geospatial devroom OSGeo was represented. It was a great opportunity for Belgium OSGeo members to meet each other and start talking about organizing ourselves a bit more, so actions in Belgium can be better supported. Belgium is, as a country divided in at least 3 speaking languages and 3 official languages. The active OSGeo community members today are either active in the OSGeo.nl, the OSGeo.fr or in several OSGeo communities.
However, OSGeo-nl and OSGeo-fr are language-oriented communities with their geographical weight centred in respectively the Netherlands and France, and the separation by language has impeded on any specific Belgian activities, notably networking and lobbying with administrations that are bilingual on some levels of governance. Thus the need arose to provide a specific Belgian forum.
In the past there where already some OSGeo local activities:
- OSGeoGhent - 13 June 2013
- FOSDEM2014 - booth 1 & 2 Februari 2014
- Be-OpenGIS-Fr - 6 November 2014
- FOSDEM2015- devroom - 31 Jan; 1 Februari 201
In 2015 we (OSGeoBE) organised the first Belgium/FOSS4G on 29 October 2015 in Brussels. This event was used to announce the birth of our Chapter.
2016 April 18, Brussels
On 18 April 2016, OSGeo.be will be organising their first GeoDevEvening. The theme will be webmapping and especially Openlayers 3. There will be two speakers, Pierre Marchand of Atelier Cartographique wil give an overview of Webmapping tools. Later we will take a deeper dive with Thomas Gratier, one of the authors of the OpenLayers 3 Beginners guide.
The event will happen at BEL in Brussels (those who were at FOSS4G.be will remember the place), next monday 18 april at 19:00 until 22:00. The event is free. You can register here.
2016 September 22 FOSS4G Belgium, Brussels
2016 September 23-25 State of the Map 2016, Brussels
The international event of OpenStreetmap is organised this year in Belgium. Highly recommended as well!
2016 August 24-26th Foss4G International in Bonn
The most important international Event of OSGeo. Highly recommended! The call for papers is now open (until 31 march)
2016 May 11-12 FOSS4G Paris
2016 May 23-26 Geospatial World Forum, Rotterdam
http://geospatialworldforum.org/ OSGeo will participate.
2016 March 19 Mapps4ghent
2016 February 29 Open Belgium, Brussels
OSGeo.be will give a presentation at Open Belgium 2016 about "Open in Geo".
2016 February 27 Mapping party for homeless people, Brussels
The « mapping party for homeless people » will take place in Brussels at the Université Libre de Bruxelles, on Saturday,February 27.
More information on wikipage : https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo-BE-Cartopartie_sans-abri_27.02.2016
2016 January 2016 misssing Maps mapathon in Ghent
On saterday 23 january, Our colleagues of Openstreetmap are organising a missing maps party: http://osm.be/nl/content/missing-maps-mapathon-gent
2016 January 31 FOSDEM Geospatial devroom
FOSDEM is a free and non-commercial event bringing together about 5000 developers in Brussels, Belgium. The goal is to provide open source software developers and communities a place to meet and share thoughts. The participation is free of charge, although donations are welcome. The next edition will take place the last weekend ofJanuary 30 - 31 2016. This year for the second time there will be a Geospatial devroomon Sunday 31/1/2016, organised by members of the OSGeo, Locationtech and OpenStreetMap communities.
2015 October 29th FOSS4G Belgium 2015 - Brussels
2015 February 1st FOSDEM geo track - Brussels
2014 November 6th beOpenGISfr - Brussels
2013 June 13th OSGeo Ghent - Ghent
- Initial meeting - 15 April 2015
- IRC meeting - 22 April 2015
- IRC/Skype meeting - 19 may 2015
- Skype meeting - 05 June 2015
- Skype meeting - 03 July 2015
- Skype meeting - 21 August 2015
- Skype meeting - 08 September 2015
- face2face meeting - Brussels 21 September 2015 - Avenue du Port 86C, 1000 Bruxelles
- face2face meeting - Brussels 05 October 2015 - Avenue du Port 86C, 1000 Bruxelles
- Skype meeting - 12 October 2015
- Skype meeting - 19 October 2015
- face2face meeting - Brussels 26 October 2015 - Avenue du Port 86C, 1000 Bruxelles
- Skype meeting - 09 November 2015
- Skype meeting - 23 November 2015