Face to Face Meeting Paris 2017
Face-to-face meeting during FOSS4G-Europe 2017.
When and Where
- Morning of July 18th - morning workshop slot
- Evening of July 18th - after workshops
- Venkatesh Raghavan
- Sanghee Shin
- Maria Brovelli
- Vasile Craciunescu
- Angelos Tzotsos
- Jody Garnett
- add yourself
- Director Updates
- OSGeo Events and FOSS4G Conferences
- OSGeo Project Status
- OSGeo Website/Rebranding Coordination
- Discuss and Approve pending MoUs
- European Bank Account
- OSGeo contributor license agreement for government participation
- FOSS4G Affordability
We also invite board members to revisit their initial goals at elected representatives to provide context for the days discussion.
The overall goal of the meeting is to coordinate two "hot topics" for the OSGeo community: event attendance costs and OSGeo project health.
We should leave this meeting with a clear way forward on these two issues; providing a list of actions to take prior to next Boston F2F meeting.
F2F Board Meeting July FOSS4GE
- attending: Maria, Sanghee, Vasile, Michael, Venkatesh, Jody, Angelos
- Quorum : 7/9
Motion 1 - Venka chair, jody scribe
- motion by Vasile, accepted by acclamation (ie all in favour)
1. FOSS4G Breakfast pre-meeting
Update from Maria / Jody
- assume 20-30 people based on response
- look for reservation in area 20-30 a plate
- OGC: Luis did not reply
- OSM: did not reply, contact osm-us branch Alessia
- Need government input?
- Nasa: Patrick was not available to attend? Would like world wind to be an included in OSGeo. Seems to not understand how we work as a volunteer organization.
- Ask Marc Volumnens for NASA contact used at foss4g-na?
- NGA contact from CLA license discussion? I asked but felt it was more suitable for manager.
Motion 1: OSGeo Breakfast Meeting $1000 budget, to cover $900 expected costs
- venka: makes the motion, approved by acclamation
2. Director Update
Go through your goals on wiki, and see how we are doing.
- LocationTech rep, some work to be done (did not quite meet this one.
- treasurer, great success
- geoforall contact, successful in this role
- un comittee contact, successful in this role, taking a fair bit of time
- any role assigned?
- really active on geoforall, and everywhere including SAC.
- goal: build up relationships in european agencies
- esa, hackathon in september
- action: advertise hackathon in september
- looking into osgeo europe to better take on this role
- Discussion: good discussion on requirements, etc...
- Discussion: meeting this week for osgeo-europe local chapter
- Q: do you need any discussion with the board? A: other examples of local chapters are fine
- ESA discussion with Cordina
- ESA discuss about github repo for work, etc..
- URISSA sees free to use, rather than open
- graph of foss4g echosystem presented in Brussels
- foss4g european chapter discussion
- group of local chapters, non all are legal enties etc...
- no record on the wiki! Check email ...
- goal to bridge osgeo - such as UN "technical advisor group" of UN Open GIS
- goal to offer business perspective to osgeo community
- Discussion: KAOS: Korean Alliance of Open Source". new organization "company alliance for promoting open gis", president of each company, setup legal entity
- goal to to offer other worlds view from asia
- wanted to focus on projects, ended up focusing on buisness and outreach
- sponsors reboot with jeff mckenna. Year 2 it is working, we will have to check if it is a success in year 3.
- website/rebranding - got frustrate with f2f goals being held up last year,
- theme identify gaps in our oragnization and start an activity to attract volunteers
- theme move work and responsibility to committee (see discussion below) rather than ask everything of board volunteers
- Discussion - hard to keep track on committees
venka: no record on wiki
- user oriented events, user focused workshops, attract users
- attend user community events
- discussion: keeping track on committees? professional secretarty?
- discussion: partnership between board and committee chairs
- reminder: f2f meeting in 2016 - will get budget if comittee chair responsible
- Q: director mandates ends when? A: Assume october: after f2f meeting and charter member nominations - When based on after charter members elections, assume one month from now, so during foss4g nominate people - Should we consider holding vote at fixed time each year? - Elections: board members during september
Discussion: - partner relationships - MOU Universityies - OGC MOU renews each year - need up update the contacts - LocationTech. Guest membership currently with Michael Smith representing. Can they do a MOU? Ask Marc. Consider membership and sponsorship of each others. This is clarified in the new website; see partners google doc being worked on by board members
- maria/jody: describe UN committee for new website - venka/jody: 1) review relationship as written - venka/angelous/jody: 2) chat marc this week. Update: Chat succesful, open to MOU, and cross sponsorship relationship similar to how OGC+LocationTech works
2. OSGeo Events
- foss4g africa - foss4g-jp - italy event in feb, presentation from venka
- Boston event - Argitena event - FOSS4G-ko Korea event - events in japan - events in romania
It is not really obvious to Jody that all these events were ocurring
- website? - local chapter report - wiki page for foss4g events exists now
- geo4africa - calgis / locationcon
- qgis hackathon - gvsig events
- action maria/jody: double check if there is a map for events?
- foss4g asia every second year - foss4gna process starting up
3. OSGeo project status
Discussion about relationship between osgeo board and projects.
Working group to review projects:
- some collaboration with osgeo live
- dropped many projects from osgeo live. example mapfish is no longer functioning
- what to do with these results?
- expectation: working group will report with board
- at the end of incubation we have a project team, not a codebase
- code can be rewritten: deegree rewrites, mapfish --> geomapfish
- action helena: agm reminder. projects that do not make the agm can be invited to next meeting
- action: venka, contact working group and ask to report results
- jody: otb graduation approved, ask Jeff McKenna to update website
Update: topic track discussion with working group, they had no plans to report so we need to ask.
4. Website/Rebranding update and coordination
- venka/jeff johnson to follow up about LDAP / Website requirements contract (see email for details). - venka/angilous/ - current website database and local directories
5. Discuss / approve pending MOU, partner, friends
What is pending:
- Helena has one with Department of Interior (US Government) - action: invite to breakfast! - Anita working on with with AGILE - GSDI - - AGU -
Friends how to set this up:
- OSM - active in osgeo-live - Natural Earth - Others ..
- GRSS - would like to have OSGeo as a standard committee member. - ESA - reach our at open science 2.0, set up official meeting - Apache Foundation? - FSF Foundation?
actions to reach contact:
- Maria: Reach out to Kate, reach out to partners, angelous reach out paul norman - HOT: Maira to reach out - Angelos: Ask Brian to reach out to Natural Earths - Jody: Contact Open Source Initiative
6. European account
Discussion on need for an account, could osgeo-eu chapter take on this responsibility. Decided to go with our own account so we would not get in the way of local chapter forming.
Motion 2 Setup European Account
- jody: authorize Vasile and Angelos to open a euro account. - by acclamation
7. OSGeo CLA Government participation
GeoTools request: Approve government CLA (see email discussion). Request from US Government Department NGA.
- Michael I will set this up
- Q: Budget? A: Less than $500 USD.
8. FOSS4G Affordability
Consider discussion after foss4g Boston: - be careful about communicating to avoid conflicts
We can meet this week: - Could make a BOF tomorrow? - Make dinner at IBIS hotel 8pm :) - Consider invite others? Gerald, Till Admans
Update after second meeting:
- Vasile: will gather up the background on costs from email threads, proposals, so we have better understanding on what is possible for discussion in Boston (so we can have this discussion at boston f2f with facts rather than opinion).