FOSS4G2008 LiveDVD discussion
FOSS4G 2008 LiveDVD discussions
To create a live CD\DVD with as much OSGEO software as possible to be used in workshops, as handouts at conferences and to demonstrate a full functioning FOSS GIS stack.
Download the live DVD from here: http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/ .
FOSS4G 2008 LiveDVD Contents
With the development of the FOSS4G 2008 Live DVD complete, I have added the index page of the DVD to the wiki.
What exists as of September, 11 2008
|Authors||Distro Base||Packages||Building tool||Link|
|Camptocamp||Ubuntu:||MapGuideOS, adding MapFish, and SDI ?|
|LisaSoft||Ubuntu||PostGIS, geoserver, gvsig||LISAsoft-LiveCD process|
|Ominiverdi||Xubuntu||QGIS, Grass, PostGIS, GDAL, R||UCK||Ominiverdi Edu Live|
|Gvsig||Knoppix||Postgis, geoserver, deegree, geonetwork||gvsig live|
Live DVD for FOSS4G2008
- DVD in size (not CD)
- Base Distribution: Xubuntu
- We will start from the Ominiverdi image
- LISAsoft will add Geoserver and hopefully other java packages
|Who did testing||ISO Image||Results||Machines|
|Cameron Shorter||FOSS4G-2008-LiveDVD-Alpha2.iso||Loaded fine, didn't note any problems with images|
||VMWare Beta 2 on Ubuntu 8.04 amd64|
|Brian Hamlin||FOSS4G-2008-LiveDVD-Alpha3_4.iso||PGAdmin/psql, QGis Pg layers, ok.. GeoServer MapPreview of Alaska Layer in OpenLayers shows no results??||MacBook, VirtualBox 2 on amd64|
|Nicol Hermann||FOSS4G-2008-LiveDVD-Alpha3_4.iso||Loading OK. Missing raster layer in gvSIG project, unsure what password to use for postgis ODBC connection during gvSIG startup. I found no logout/shoutdown link on the Desktop. Does this happen intentionally?||Lenovo T60, WLAN was not detected|
||Windows on VirtualBOX 1.5|
||LiveCD on VirtualBOX 1.5|
- Password is in the Readme on the desktop, maybe we should but it on the desktop by embedding it in the background image?
- Logout/shutdown is in the upper right corner, as well as on the main menu.
- Burn onto a DVD
- Graphics to be printed onto the other side with a suitable logo and contents. A simple one colour print run will be sufficient.
- Target print run of at least 100. If budget permits, 250 would be better. It would be good to give one to all local delegates who want one.
- We need to know when we need to hand over the ISO image so that it can be burned.
- The more time we have, the more testing we can do on the image and the more polished it will be.
- We can hand the image over on Tuesday 23 September, but would prefer if we had till Thursday 2 October.
The 2008 Local Organising Committee have provided the following details for burning DVDs and printing: FOSS4G 2008 Media Facilities
From the 2008 Local Organising Committee:
- Heindrich Du Plessis
- Burnie / Inge, have a list of service providers that is being used for the conference CDs?
Tim Bowden has found someone as well ...
LiveCD for FOSS4G2008 Schedule
|Fr 12 Sept|
|Fr 19 Sept|
|We 24 Sept|
|Th 25 Sept||Burn CDs||Tim Bowden|
|Mo 29 Sept||FOSS4G 2008 Starts|
- LISAsoft can provide equivalent of 1 resource, split between Mark Leslie, Stefan Hansen, Volker Mische, & Cameron Shorter.
- jsanz, chevi
- wildintellect have offered 2 days
- Tim Bowden is looking into CD burning
- Luca Casagrande and Ominiverdi Family
- HamishBowman can provide DebianGIS integration help
- ... (add your name)