FOSS4G 2010 Workshops meetings
IRC meetings at #foss4g channel, irc.freenode.net
Next IRC meeting
3rd IRC meeting
- Live USB:
- An OSGeo Live DVD (or USB) will be handed out to every delegate at FOSS4G, and can be used either from the DVD or as a pre-installed Virtual Machine for workshops.
- The LiveDVD team would like to know how we can help workshop presenters make use of the LiveDVD.
- Do you want training material on the DVD?
- Do you want to set up specific examples?
- Local (Catalan) Geodataset.
- No LiveDVD people in the meeting. Try to set the next meeting in an hour suitable for australians to attend.
- Local (catalan) Geodataset still not available. Ivan Sanchez will try with spanish IGN data.
http://logs.qgis.org/foss4g/%23foss4g.2010-05-27.log (till 08:54:24)
2nd IRC meeting
- LOC decision on budget for printed materials (tutorials).
- FTP Accounts. Status.
- Local geodata & volunteers. Status.
- FTP access: 63 Gb available. Folders there now for each workshop, with a 'data', 'printing', and 'software' folder in each. Connection params will be sent to presenters.
- Jeff & Oscar will prepare a doc w/instructions and system details (vgr network drive paths, admin access) for presenters, and distribute it on May 10.
- Will not provide printed materials for Tutorials. But will facilitate FTP access to upload docs, that will be linked from 2010.foss4g.org. Deadline for tutorial materials, same as workshops: July 7.
- There will be 7 volunteers at workshops, preferently local students.
- Local geodata: Just made a call in OSGeo-es and Barcelona lists. If no one takes this task, we will forget it.
- Next IRC session in three weeks (2 may), same hour, same place.
1st IRC meeting
As Jeff suggested, we will try to fix a calendar for the next important steps:
- Plan for a deadline for presenters to provide full software requirements (versions etc)
- Deadline for submitting materials
- Plan for the machine setup
- Make a wiki page to track all of the meetings (this one).
- Create OSGeo FTP account, where instructors will put materials. One folder each workshop, with three subfolders: software; install and testing instructions; print materials. (Jeff McKenna's task).
- Deadline for software and materials: 5th July. (August is specially improductive @ Spain).
- Virtualbox client will be installed in all computers.
- LOC should be aware that there's a need for 1 volunteer per classroom (access control, materials delivery), and handy technicians from the university during workshops.
- LOC should decide on budget for tutorial printed materials.
- Tutorials as hands-on experiences, with participants bringing their own laptop/netbook, don't succeed. It is better that tutorials are conceived as extended presentations, that can be followed without the software running in own's machine.
- Oscar Fonts proposal: Try to use local geodatasets. Local volunteers are needed. Make a call @OSGeo-es and see.
- Next meeting will be in a week +2 hours, so Eastern Canada people can participate.