GeoNetwork Incubation Status
The project graduated from incubation on 2 May 2008
- Has the project been approved for incubation by the OSGeo board?
- Yes, it was approved in Twenty First Board Meeting.
- Has an OSGeo committee member been assigned as Mentor?
- Yes, Jody Garnett is assigned as mentor.
- Has the projectname.osgeo.org domain been populated with the projects we presence?
- Yes. The domain forwards to the GeoNetwork Community website http://geonetwork-opensource.org
- An info sheet at http://www.osgeo.org/geonetwork has also been created.
- The Community website has been transfered to a telascience server GeoNetwork Community Website.
- Is the OSGeo bug tracker being used for the project?
- Yes. the OSGeo tracker is in use by the project.
- GeoNetwork Tracker
- Is the OSGeo mailing list manager being used for the project?
- No. SourceForge.net mailing list manager is in use by the project.
- user mailing list
- developer mailing list
- commit mailing list
- Is the OSGeo SVN or CVS system being used for the project?
- No. SourceForge.net Subversion is used by the project.
- svn co https://geonetwork.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/geonetwork geonetwork
- subversion web interface
- We have plans to move to the OSGeo SVN system in the coming months though.
- Are binary and source downloads available from the OSGeo download area?
- No, binaries and source code are available through the SourceForge.net infrastructure.
- Is there a functioning user support mechanisms (ie. mailing list)?
- A Community website for the project offering a documentation section with among others Manuals, Tutorials, FAQ's and Howto's and a software section for binaries is available at http://geonetwork-opensource.org
- A users, a developer and a commit mailing list are available.
- The mailing lists are also accessible online via Nabble
- An IRC channel #geonetwork is registered at irc://irc.freenode.net/geonetwork
- Commits are notified to the IRC channel via CIA-bot
- The bug, feature and support trackers on trac.osgeo.org/geonetwork are used
- Are source and binary downloads for the package available?
- The latest source code is available form SVN on SourceForge.net . Source code for previous versions of GeoNetwork opensource are stored in the SourceForge.net CVS of the project. Public CVS access has been turned off to avoid confusion with SVN, but source code can still be obtained from the old installers.
- Binaries including source code are available from SourceForge.net and can also be found on the Community website.
- GeoNetwork opensource has also been published on a CD-Rom and on a DVD including other GeoFOSS software.
- Has a Project Steering Committee been formed, and given control of the project?
- An Advisory Board was established in 2006 to provide broad endorsement and advice on the overall project strategy.
- A Project Steering Committee was formed in 2007 during the Third GeoNetwork Workshop. The committee has seven members. The committee meets once a year during the GeoNetwork opensource week. A workplan for the following year is approved during that meeting. See also PSC
- Does the Project Steering Committee have documentation on project procedures for PSC decisions, contributor guidelines, etc.
- Yes, see the Project Steering Committee page, Motions page and Release Strategy
- How many active developers are there? Are they from multiple organizations?
- The project has about 5 active committers and 10 people with SVN access from at least five different organizations.
The developer mailing list has about 170 subscriptions and the commit mailing list has 22 subscriptions. The user mailing list has about 280 subscriptions. Statistics can be seen at SourceForge, Ohloh statistics and CIA
- Have project documents been updated to reflect membership in the foundation, and the relationship of the project to the foundation?
- In articles about GeoNetwork, the relation of the project and OSGeo has been emphasized explicitly.
- Has an effort been made to brand the project web site with OSGeo foundation web styling and branding marks?
- The project web site contains the OSGeo logo on the front page and indicates that GeoNetwork opensource is an incubator project of OSGeo. More emphasis on this relation will be added once the project has graduated.
Code Copyright and license Review
- Has a Code Provenance Review document been prepared for the project?
- Yes. A document is available at GeoNetwork Provenance Review describing the steps taken in the review process.
- Have issues raised in the provenance review been adequately addressed?
- Two issues were identified and have been resolved. No other issues have been found. The code is considered in full compliance with the used GPL license and there are no known issues related to conflicting copyrights or "Intellectual Property" rights.