Marketing Meeting 2009.11.12

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

This normal meeting is Thursday November 12th 07h00 UTC (Wednesday pm in some regions). This is our new usual monthly time and date.

Agenda

Note meeting dates changed to 2nd week of month instead of first

Minutes

  • Complete logs available here starting at 21:55:20

Action Summary

  • MOTION: Tyler moved to adopt the previous minutes. All were in favour.
  • AGU 2009: Booth space is sold-out
    • Alex: to discuss holding an OSGeo social event with locals/California chapter - roughly between 16-18th.
  • FOSS4G 2009 stats: Cameron delivered these on the mailing list
  • FOSS4G 2010: Tyler to invite rep from local organising committee to join Marketing to help make the connection a bit tighter.
  • Tyler to send 2008 annual reports (printed) to Alex
  • Update: 2008 annual report has been added to Lulu.com
  • Tyler to follow up with O'Reilly regarding their offer of promo books
  • Next agenda:
    • Add website design topic to top of next agenda
    • Discuss marketing expectation from/for projects

Detailed Minutes

  • Roll call: Tyler (chair), Alex, Daniele, Bill, Brian, Aaron
  • Reviewed previous minutes: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Meeting_2009.05.07
    • MOTION: Tyler moved to adopt the previous minutes. All were in favour.
  • Other items added to agenda: Live demo, AAG 2010
  • Events - AGU 2009 in San Francisco
    • Tyler will be speaking on the 18th, was investigating whether booth space is still available or not. A few other OSGeo speakers will be there and some speaking too.
    • Update: Booth space is sold-out, so not an option.
    • Alex: To discuss holding an OSGeo social event with locals/California chapter - roughly between 16-18th
  • AAG 2010 - talk to us Alex
    • discussed whether we have enough volunteers for a booth. There will be 2 FOSS sessions
    • very international audience attends
    • In 2011 we could aim to do a workshop, we missed the deadline for 2010
    • considered potentially sharing a booth if necessary, e.g with OGC or OSM or OpenGeo
  • FOSS4G 2009 final thoughts
    • Generated 30-40k (AUD$) in profit.
    • There has been a real and perceived sense that "Marketing committee" has not been engaged with the event in general, though a few of us have been on both marketing and FOSS4G organising committees.
    • Some marketing related thoughts are include amongst other lessons in FOSS4G_2009_Lessons_Learned
    • Request for web analytics results from FOSS4G site. Update: Cameron delivered these on the mailing list
    • Excellent Live DVD disk was distributed to all attendees. Some discussion about sponsorship of the disk effort and branding at such an event. Question of how to not conflict with other OSGeo sponsors who have rights for cross branding from cash sponsorships.
  • FOSS4G 2010
    • Tyler to invite rep from local organising committee to join Marketing to help make the connection a bit tighter.
    • What are the timelines for P.R.?
  • Material Development / communication and branding...
    • Ongoing development of formats and putting finals in SVN. Being delivered this week.
    • Also, Tyler working with Gerald Fenoy to enable a web-form to editing our main material using ZooCMS/openoffice server
    • material development discussion - consider cycling slideshow for booth, more detailed booklet of project info, software org chart, etc.
  • Exhibition Pack
    • Tyler to send 2008 annual reports to Alex
    • Upate: 2008 annual report has been added to stores.lulu.com/osgeo
    • Alex is looking at DVD duplication options for Live DVD.
  • Website design - Daniele had to leave
    • Quiet on this front for most of year.
    • part of following up from our material development and past branding exercises is to see if we can make a complimentary theme for the website
    • the wiki could use a lot of love from some wiki gnomes to make pages easier to find
    • discussed some of the core issues: findability, navigation/layout, overview of major resources
    • recapping past direction: Daniele had been querying the lsits for input on 'important' parts of the site to the users.
    • TODO: Add website design to top of next agenda
    • Jody is also keen to see something on the website side that other projects could adopt - to strengthen the osgeo branding across projects.
  • Other items
    • discussed free books offer from O'Reilly. Tyler to follow up
    • local chapters + exhibition pack + a bit of support = lots of marketing potential
    • Next agenda: marketing expectations from projects. We had a break out group at the code sprint in sydney to discuss some of this. e.g. so marketing doesn't have to do all the work in areas when the projects could lend a hand like updating their page on the main site, or updating brochures, providing content for live dvd, etc.
    • Great turn up for contributors to LiveDVD
  • Meeting adjorned at 23:46 IRC server time, approximately 2 hours later.