This is a page is about how news gets posted for www.osgeo.org and about twitter news.
News for osgeo.org goes through a news editor that ensures some degree of consistency and appropriateness. Currently the primary news editor is Jorge_Sanz, with Astrid Emde and Frank Warmerdam as backup editors.
Email new news items to firstname.lastname@example.org. This goes to the news editors. Projects, committees or other interested parties can submit a news item to that mailing list. Then the editor (or if they are unavailable the backup editor) would take care of formatting the item for consistency and putting it on the news page and forward the message to the OSGeo Announcements mailing list.
On occasion, the news editors may also post items based on stuff they see happening without explicit direction, though this isn't the main task of the editor.
Mechanics of Posting
Note: These instructions are for News Editors.
- News items are published using the "Foundation News" content type in the new OSGeo website (Wordpress).
- It's interesting to put some of the content in the header section to make the article more appealing.
- If the post is about an OSGeo project or committee, use the Relations section to define explicitly the relationship.
A clean plain text version of the announcement should be sent to the email@example.com mailing list if the news item is significant (we aim to keep announcements down to 2-3 per week on the announce list). Please ensure that these emails follow good email styling. Less than 80 characters per line, plain text (no html!), formatted for easy reading as text, spell out urls fully with http prefixes so that url detecting email programs can turn them into followable links. Use the title of the item as the title of the email. Using your own email address as the From: is fine, but remove any personal "signature" from the email.
All announcements will need to be approved by an announce mailing list moderator. Hopefully any news editor will have an appropriate password. Approval can be done at:
Please check the "delete all messages marked defer" flag at the bottom to clear all the other junk out of the queue after you approve your new announcement.
Announcements should also be posted via the OSGeo Google+ page (https://plus.google.com/101749668136525815391/posts). Currently Arnulf Christl, Jody Garnett and Frank Warmerdam have manager access to do so. Normally we post a link to the announcement on the OSGeo web site, but remove the "description" since it picks up the wrong stuff, and instead summarize the topic as the main test of the post.
- Twitter @osgeo
Announcements should also tweeted using the @osgeo twitter account. The password is available in the secure "access" file kept by SAC if not known. There is an IFTTT account associated with the firstname.lastname@example.org mail alias that will forward automatically News to the twitter account.
Events should be posted to the Events manager on the drupal site as soon as practical. New events can be posted at:
- Format the name of the event in the event item to include the city and country of the event too. eg. "Intergeo, Hannover, Germany" or "Indian National FOSS4G Conference, Hyderabad, India".
- Try to pick the appropriate time zone, and set the start time to 8am and end time to 5pm on the corresponding days.
- Make sure there is a link back to a more comprehensive description of the event.
- Limit events to those which have at least some OSGeo or open source geospatial aspect. If possible highlight that aspect in the post.
- Events may be submitted via the news_item alias, or directly added by those with Drupal editor access.
Developer spotlights currently live in www/content/spotlights in Drupal. These aren't strictly the news editors reponsibility at this time (as far as I know).
Some effort should also be made to ensure that any press releases from the Marketing Committee make it into the news stream, and vice versa that major announcements are proposed to Marketing Committee as press releases.