About OSGeo-Sri Lanka (LK) Chapter
Welcome to the OSGeo Sri Lanka chapter!
The OSGeo Sri Lanka chapter is aimed at supporting the Sri Lankan open source GIS community in their activities. The chapter is formally recognised in August 2018 though the OSGeo and open source GIS activities are being conducted around the country for nearly a decade before that . FOSSGIS and open data have become an attractive tools and resources in disaster management, town and country planning, water resource management and community activities and therefore have become part of teaching and learning in universities and organisations as well.
The First formal meeting of the chapter was held on 19th October 2017 at the Department of Town & Country Planning (TCP), University of Moratuwa .
- Advocate the use of Free and open source GIS tools and open data among local community
- Promote localized GIS solutions which cater for Sri Lankan people’s requirements
- Support the OSGeo activities at international and regional levels (such as Asian regional activities)
- Act as a bridge between various groups like developers, application users, students, educational Institutes, government departments and community groups who can be benefited from open source GIS
- Foster an open environment to grow , collaborate and networking as a community while sharing OSGeo value system
- Conduct events related to GIS and open source GIS to increase awareness and networking
- Provide technical guidance and support to implement open source GIS local solutions and entrepreneurship based on FOSS GIS
- Develop open source GIS training material suitable for local communities , using local datasets and examples
- Conduct training and support R & D activities related to open source GIS , collaborative with universities and other organizations
- Offer mentoring support for open source GIS projects at university and other levels of education
- Maintain a repository of local open source GIS activities including events, development of software tools and training materials
There is no requirement from OSGeo to a local chapter have a legal existence. However, as it would be much convenience in the long run, we are in the process of registering the Sri Lankan chapter as a community organization in Sri Lanka.
OSGeo.LK Chapter Officers
- Ajith Karunarathne
- Niroshan Sanjaya
- Aruna Bandara
- Suthakaran Sundaralingam
- Thambirajah Sunthararajah
- Malinga Prabhasara
..Add Executive Members here
..Add Advisers here
- H.H.K.R.Nayomi ( first Secretory )
- Sirimewan Waidyasekara ( Member of the Advisory board, initial member)
..Add members here
Activities of OSGeo.LK Chapter
- FOSS4G-Asia 2018 was held in the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
- A series of mapping workshops were conducted from May 2018 with the support of HOT micro grant (3990US$) for mapping Sri Lanka with OSM. Volunteering their time and effort, our OSM experts lead by Suthakaran are working tirelessly travelling around the country to make these events fully successful and useful for the community.
- First meeting to formalise the chapter activities (19th October 2017) . File:SriLankaChapter MINUTES01 16 11 2017 approved.pdf
- Second meeting of the year 2017 (15th November 2017) & Workshop on Open, Nonconventional, Sustainable and Effective climate monitoring system (4ONSE)
- Event to Celebrate GeoWeek 2017 (OSM Mapathon at University of Peradeniya - 19th November 2017).
- Formation of OSGeo lab of University of Moratuwa and OSGeo Lab of SLIIT
- organising FOSS4G Sri Lanka -2014
- Add Activity
Join our community
- OSGeo Sri Lanka chapter welcome open source GIS enthusiasts actively engage in any form of GIS related activities.
- Please feel free to contact the chapter via email@example.com
- Please initiate or join discussions on local mailing list listed below also.
- Through mailing lists
- Discuss: subscribe at http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/srilanka
- Board: subscribe at http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lk-board