Talk:Geodata Discovery Working Group
I wrote a proposal for an effort to specify (= profile) a geospatial search protocol. Background: Currently, implementations of geospatial catalogue (search) services, like CSW, are rare. Some say () that they are too complicated while the problem supposedly lies deeper: it's probably the metadata model which is also too sized. On the other hand there seems to be a trend towards search protocols (Web 2.0). So perhaps time is ripe for another effort. Proposal: See Simple_Catalog_Interface SFK 19:58, 13 July 2006 (CEST)
BOF on Geodata Discovery and Metadata Models
This is an open BOF; participants are welcome!
Organization: See OSGeo_at_FOSS4G2006#BOFs
- Chairs: Stefan F. Keller (organization) and Tom Kralidis
- Participants: curr. expected about 8
- Duration: One hour
- Time: Thursday, 14 Sept., 12:30-13:30 (not Tuesday, 12 Sept., 17:30-18:30)
- Room: Amphimax (MAX 351).
- Infrastructure: Beamer, (Sandwich ok)
- Overview, short(!) mission statements about catalog services implementation (all):
- What are the experiences so far?
- What are the requirements?
- What are possible alternatives, how should we/NSDIs proceed?
- owscat (Tom Kralidis)
- OAI approach (Stefan F. Keller)
- Google scraping (Paul Ramsey)
- Client programming (Jody Garnett)
- CSW Software:
- GeoNetwork (Jeroen Ticheler?)
- deegree (someone?)
- Models for Metadata Management and for Exchange
- CSW 2.1 ebRIM (Raj Singh?) => Metadata Management
- FGDC extended (Jo Walsh?) => Metadata Management
- Dublin Core extended (Stefan) => Metadata Exchange
- Discussion of pros and cons of approaches (all)
- Way forward
Useful links for preparation: