OSGeo Budget 2021
Draft budget for 2021, see OSGeo Budget 2020 and Finance Committee#Documents for prior years.
Total Approved Budget for 2020: $220,612 USD
Total Approved Budget for 2021: TBD
OSGeo board operates according to our bylaws providing vision and direction for our foundation. The board has also taken on responsibility setting for an annual budget, building partner relationships, sponsorship program and code sprints.
|Board||2020||2020 Actual||2021 Draft||Notes|
|Admin||2,000||0||0||Operational expenses including liability insurance, tax filing fees, quickbooks, mail, IRS, bank fees.|
|Travel||20,000||0||0||Travel to main FOSS4G, F2F meeting and regional/representative events|
|Partners and Sponsors||2,000||0||0||Relationship building, attending b2b functions, foss4g/foss4ge/foss4gna/foss4g-asia breakfast meetings. Meetings with sponsors during events|
Total Board Budget for 2020: $24,000 USD
Total Board Budget for 2021: TBD
The following committees have been formed to fulfill out goals as an organization, each committee is provided a mandate, with the chair of the committee represented as an officer of our organization.
- Code of Conduct Committee
- Conference Committee
- GeoForAll - committee acting as advisory board for the GeoForAll Initiative
- Incubation Committee - committee providing hands-on support for project teams adopting open source principles and practice.
- Marketing Committee - outreach and advocacy support
- Open GeoScience Committee
- System Administration Committee - foundation infrastructure
- UN Committee - committee responsible for our participation in the UN Open GIS program
|OSGeo Committees||2020||2020 Actual||2021 Requested||Notes|
|SAC||28,350||0||35,100||See proposed SAC Budget 2021, includes $3500 already contracted in 2020.|
We would like to request three prizes, each to the value of USD 3,000. The number of prizes and amounts are based on previous years, however, we understand that 2020 was a difficult year and that there could be budget constraints because the conference could not take place.
We plan to arrange the OSGeo Educational Challenge similarly to that in 2018  and 2019 , for which the material is now available on the OSGeo Wiki, see e.g. ,  and . The challenge supports the objectives of the OSGeo UN Committee , i.e. promoting the development and use of open source software that meets UN needs and supports the aims of the UN. For various reasons, we were not able to arrange the challenge in 2020, but we are planning to have the next one in 2021. Vicky Vergara has already expressed interest in mentoring a challenge related to developing training material for pgrouting. The other two challenges are planned on topics related to COVID-19 (with QGIS) and Geo Artificial Intelligence (GeoAI), a topic of interest in the UN Open GIS initiative.
|0||5,000||No operational budget requested, Requesting $5,000 USD funds requested strictly to be used to support team/mentor activities towards completing OSGeo incubation requirements. We have one outstanding request 2020 from the zoo-project for $2,000 USD.|
Board note: Projects under incubation have to ask the Incubation committee for the part of their budget regarding incubation activities.
Total Committees Budget for 2020: $79,912 USD
Total Committees Budget for 2021: TBD
OSGeo initiatives have formed to pursue a specific short term, or long term goal. Initiatives maybe formed by a committee or the board as required. Initiatives are a great way to collaborate with projects, committees and partners.
- FOSS4G - event series produced in collaboration with the conference committee and local chapters
- GeoForAll - education and research program produced in collaboration with our partners
- Incubation - mentor program for open source projects to be recognized as OSGeo project
- Local Chapters - board outreach initiative establishing regional OSGeo groups for direct grassroots advoacacy
- GSoC - coordinate participation in google-summer-of-code and code-in activities
- Travel Grant Program - provides assistance for attending OSGeo events
|OSGeo Initiatives||2020||2020 Actual||2021 Requested||Notes|
|FOSS4G||0||0||0||Managed by Conference Committee. Seed money for 2021 will be allocated by the board when estimate numbers become available.|
|Local Chapters||5,000||0||0||Managed by board, considering putting aside money to help establish local chapters (for logistics, legal advise, kickoff meetings rather than any sponsorship or direct funding)|
|GSoC||0||0||0||Managed by board.|
|Travel Grant Program||25,000||0||0||Managed by Conference Committee. TGP, 50-60% for global event, rest for regional events. LOC's are expected to raise matching funding from sponsors or delegates and provide free conference passes. |
Board note: gvSIG can apply for Travel grant here for their event.
|Events and Code Sprints||15,000||0||0||Managed by the board. Funding to help organize OSGeo Code Sprint and other events (e.g. QGIS User Conference, PostGIS Code Sprint, GRASS GIS Community Sprint etc.) |
Board note: List of requested funding on approval inlcudes siglibre + foss4g belgium + gvSIG + GRASS + QGIS + UN events. Others are welcome to ask for funding from this category.
|Community Projects||10,000||0||0||Managed by the board since community projects do not have an assigned officer to handle their budget. We have around 23-25 projects expected in 2021 (see list below). |
Board note: Budgeted approx. 500$ for each project. To be amended if we hit the ceiling of the budget.
|OSGeo4W||4,000||0||0||Board note: Joint initiative with QGIS.org. Project advised to build a broader volunteer base. Incubation program can be of help in this regard.|
|GRASS website||6,000||0||0||Money that were to be invoiced in 2019 but need to be invoiced in 2020. This is not a roll over of project budget, just an accounting request.|
Total Initiatives Budget for 2020: $65,000 USD
Total Initiatives Budget for 2021: TBD
OSGeo Projects each have a project steering committee, the chair of which is acknowledged as a foundation officer with spending authority on behalf of their committee.
- We have reached out (2020) to the projects mailing list with a default suggestion of 2000 for any project that responds
- Projects with a plan may of course ask for increased funding
- This is a budget, representing planned spending in 2021 - actual balance available to each PSC (from fundraising, donations and sponsorship) may be considered when planning.
- If a project did not respond (or runs into an unforeseen expense) please contact the board throughout the year as budgets can be amended
|OSGeo Project||2020||2020 Actual||2021 Requested||Notes|
|GeoServer||5,000||5,000||3,000||GeoServer Budget 2021|
|GRASS GIS||3,000||0||2,500||GRASS GIS Budget 2021|
|gvSIG||2,000||0||4,000||Details of the budget at GvSIG Budget 2021|
|OpenLayers||3,000||0||3,000||OpenLayers Budget 2021|
Total Projects Budget for 2020: $51,700 USD
Total Projects Budget for 2021: TBD
Community projects act through the board as they do not have a project officer. Board approved $TBD for each project (see Community Projects Initiative above)
- GeoServer Client PHP
- MapGuide Open Source
- Pronto Raster
- TEAM Engine
Some incubation projects are not yet set up as part of OSGeo community:
Some guidance is offered by individual projects below.
Please note that this table records budget requests, not approved budgets. Community Projects can ask the Board for spending approval (since they do not have a Project Officer) from the approved Community Projects budget. Projects that are also in incubation can ask the Incubation Committee for spending approval from the Incubation Committee approved budget. See notes column for actual budget approval per project.
|Community Project||2020||2020 Actual||2021 Requested||Notes|
|ZOO-Project||1,250 + 500||0||0||2020 Board note: 1,250 USD approved as part of the Incubation Committee budget. 500 USD approved from Community Projects budget. For more budget the project has to complete incubation or/and send a specific request to the board to cover from the Community Projects budget.|
|pgRouting||4,000 + 500||0||4,000 + 500 (link)||2020 Board note: 4,000 USD approved as part of the Incubation Committee budget. Project has to be in incubation to ask for the budget. 500 USD approved from Community Projects budget.|
|istSOS||4,000 + 500||0||4,000 + 500 (link)||2020 Board note: 4,000 USD approved as part of the Incubation Committee budget. 500 USD approved from Community Projects budget. For more budget the project has to complete incubation or/and send a specific request to the board to cover from the Community Projects budget.|
|OSGeo4W||4,000 + 500||0||0|
We have set aside a budget for community events in 2021:
- Supporting community building events is distinct from the development focused code-sprints below
- We are inviting community members to contact us about events (rather than try and adjust their event to fit into our code sprint guidelines)
- OSGeo is is focused on our outreach goals as an organization as such our primary contribution to events is free software and enthusiasm rather than finical, we use funding to enable our members rather than for sponsorship and visibility.
- Please note our financial guidance document
|Event Request||2020||2020 Actual||2021 Requested||Notes|
|QGIS Developer Meeting and User Conference||3,000||0||0|
|FOSS4G SotM Oceania Community Day||1500||0||0|
We have asked project teams for guidance to help set our code sprint budget:
- Please note our financial guidance document ask for event details, budget and fundraising on your part.
- Out priority is to share the risk with organizers allowing access to funds early to book facilities as required
- Code sprint budget is structured carry funds from one event to the next allowing us to hold more code-sprints with a smaller annual budget.
|Sprint Request||2020||2020 Actual||2021 Requested||Notes|
|OSGeo Code Sprint||0||0||0||No financial request made, seed money exists from previous years. Event planning is well under way.|
|GeoServer Code Sprint||0||0||0|
|PostGIS Code Sprint||0||0||0|
|GRASS GIS Community Sprint||2,000||0||0|
Approval and Amendments
- Budget Meeting: Board Meeting 2021-01-18
- Loomio Motion:
- Amendments: TBD