Much OSGeo related communication happens in IRC (Internet Relay Chat), an instant messaging protocol. Lots of general information on IRC is available in Wikipedia.
IRC requires IRC client software. There are a wide variety of clients available:
Desktop IRC clients
- A nice IRC client is for example https://hexchat.github.io/
- Thunderbird (email client) has a great IRC client that is included in the default installation: see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/instant-messaging-and-chat
Browser IRC plugins
- Chrome has several IRC apps/extensions, including CIRC
The ChatZilla client is available for Firefox users on all platforms.(not supported as of Firefox Quantum version in 2017)
Web based IRC
IRC uses a TCP/IP port which is often blocked in environments with strictly managed internet access. In these environments it is still possible to use http based clients such as:
Many IRC channels are also bridged to Matrix rooms
IRC ops may find the following document useful to make life easier for Matrix users: https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc/wiki/End-user-FAQ#i-am-a-chanop-and-have-a-spam-problem-how-can-i-fix-it-without-affecting-matrix-users
The primary OSGeo IRC channel is #osgeo on the Libera.Chat network.
Other channels of interest:
- #fdo - Feature Data Objects
- #featureserver - FeatureServer
- #gdal - GDAL/OGR project (as well as FWTools, PROJ.4)
- #geomoose - GeoMOOSE
- #geonetwork - Geonetwork Open Source
- #geotools - GeoTools (also to some extent GeoServer, uDig)
- #grass - GRASS GIS
- #mapbender - Mapbender
- #mapguide - MapGuide Open Source (and Enterprise)
- #mapserver - MapServer and some MapServer based frameworks
- #openlayers - OpenLayers
- #osgeolive - Live GIS Disc
- #ossimplanet - OSSIM project
- #postgis - PostGIS
- #osgeo-geos - GEOS
- #pycsw - pycsw
- #qgis - QGIS
- #zoo-project - ZOO-Project
- #osgeo-es - Capítulo Local de la comunidad hispano-hablante
- #cugos - Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
- #osgeo-europe - Europe OSGeo Chapter
- #fossgis - German language OSGeo chapter (logs)
- #osgeo-fr - Francophone OSGeo Chapter
- #osgeo-it (former #gfoss) - Italian language OSGeo Chapter
- #osgeo-phl - Philadelphia area OSGeo Chapter
- #osgeo-pdx Portland Chapter
- #osgeo-pt - Portugal OSGeo Chapter (use webchat se não tiver um cliente IRC, e preencha o nome e o canal #osgeo-pt)
- #osgeo-qc - Quebec OSGeo Chapter
- #osgeo-ro - Romanian OSGeo Chapter
- #geoinquietos - Spanish OSGeo micro chapters
- #osgeo-gci Google Code-In (GCI) discussions (connect through Webchat)
- #osgeo-gsoc Summer of Code (GSoC) discussions (connect through Webchat)
The IRC network of choice for most projects is the libera.chat network. Due to the presence of spammers some channels require users to be registered to the network in order to join. Registration of a nickname can be done following this guide:
OSGeo is registered as a group in the Libera network, with group contacts (nicknames) being:
Some channels *may* be still in freenode (but it will be a matter of time before they migrate to Libera). If you don't find your project channel in Libera please consider looking in Freenode and propose migration.
NOTE that OSGeo doesn't own a group registration and many (all?) registered nicknames were deleted by the network so don't trust people in there to be who they claim to be (unless you have other means to check)
- Don't ask to ask, just go ahead and ask your question.
- Don't paste large chunks of text into IRC channels. If you want to present a code or configuration file snippet to others to look at use a "pasting service" like http://codepad.org/ or http://osgeo.pastebin.com/ to host the snippet, and then paste the url to it into the IRC channel.
- If you want the attention of a particular person, include their nick in the message and they will generally be alerted (flashed, bell rung, etc).
- Give folks a while to respond. They are usually multi-tasking and might not look at IRC for a while.
- If an active conversation is going on, wait for a lull to raise a different topic (a minute of inactivity for instance)
Many popular OSGeo related channels used to be logged independently by GeoApt. The service is now interrupted but historical logs may still be found there:
Nowadays most channels rely on other logging facilities. Refer to the topic (/topic) of each channel to find out.
Administration and Ops
The "osgeo" group on freenode now has Mateusz, Angelos, jmckenna, and strk as primary contacts and co-founder of all of the currently registered channels :
#osgeo #osgeo-commits #osgeo-fr #osgeo-gr #osgeo-gsoc #osgeo-it #osgeo-kansai #osgeo-ro #osgeo-sac #osgeo-uk