OSGeo Budget 2018
OSGeo board operates according to our bylaws providing vision and direction for our foundation. The board has also taken on responsibility setting an annual budget, building partner relationships and a sponsorship program.
|Board||2016||2017||2017 Actual||2018 Draft||Notes|
|Admin||12,000||5000||(pending)||5000||Operational expenses including insurance, tax filing fees, accountant, bank fees|
2017: reduced travel costs, some money redirected to rebranding, individual committees picked up a lot of partner travel
2018: no guidance
|Internal Events||15,000||0||0||0||budget moved to committees, travel grants and PSC budgets|
|Outreach Events||5,000||0||0||0||budget moved to marketing committee, geoforall, others, ...|
The board is also responsible for handling code sprint requests, covered in the OSGeo Projects section below.
The following committees have been formed to fufill out goals as an organization, each committee is provided a mandate, with the chair of the committee represented as an officer of our organization.
- Code of Conduct Committee
- Conference Committee
- GeoForAll - committee acting as advisory board for the GeoForAll Initiative
- Incubation Committee - committee providing hands-on support for project teams adopting open source principles and practice.
- Marketing Committee - outreach and advocacy support
- Open GeoScience Committee
- System Administration Committee - foundation infrastructure
- UN Committee - committee responsible for our participation in the UN Open GIS program
|OSGeo Committees||2016||2017||2017 Actual||2018 Draft||Notes|
|SAC||13,000||15,000||(pending)||20,000||see wiki page for details|
|Open GeoScience||0||6,000||(pending)||(pending)||Need: to ask the committee for current chair to act as officer|
|Marketing||12,000||7,000||(pending)||(21,500)||2017: budget redirected to website initiative (agreement reached w/ board and marketing comittee)
2018: please, expect NO return to prior levels to meet demand for new promotional material and increased presence at partner events, 5000 extra for website/logo/other design items to keep it current and not find ourselves again with outdated website in 4 years, which costs more time and money. For details see: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mUSj6o8wTltnVAUDvoev7qgvC1jipAcNuHEDyCIxiRQ/edit#gid=1577445783
2017: moved stuident sponsorship here last year, not sure how it worked out;
2018: $500 for student awards at four FOSS4G events (global, regional)
2017: hackathon fundraising unsuccessful leaving UN Committee unable to use allocated budget 2018: 3 Initiatives (open calls for Capacity Building): 2 related to UN Open GIS (training package for the platform and new geospatial functionalities developed within the Initiative), 1 related to Capacity Building on managing open global geospatial data with OSGeo products. Travel support for attending UN Open GIS Initiative meetings.
2017: Budget was not organized for incubating or community projects. 2018: Expect to coordinate a request with participating projects
OSGeo initiatives have formed to pursue a specific short term, or long term goal. Initiatives maybe formed by a committee or the board as required. Iniativies a great way to collaborate with projects, committees and partners.
- GeoForAll - education and research program produced in collaboration with our partners
- FOSS4G - event series produced in collaboration with the conference committee and local chapters
- Local Chapters - outreach initiative establishing regional OSGeo groups for direct grassroots advoacacy
- Open GeoScience - outreach and advocacy geoscience community
- GSoC - coordinate participation in google-summer-of-code and code-in activities
- OSGeo-Live - outreach initiative providing
- Meta CRS - interoperability initiative promoting data sharing with cross project spatial reference system compatibility
- Trave Grant Program - provides assistance for attending OSGeo events
|OSGeo Initiatives||2016||2017||2017 Actual||2018 Draft||Notes|
|FOSS4G||Managed by Conference Committee|
|Local Chapters||Managed by board, no direct funding requests|
|Open GeoScience||Managed by Open Geo Science Committee|
2017: some questions on handling of money raised, additional code-in activity added 2018: guidance: ask if budget is useful, or if committee can be formed
2016: budget request (included in Marketing budget at that time) made for printing USB sticks, OSGeo Live / Marketing / Board unable to handle 2017: No budget request made, since there was no volunteer to handle the requests 2018: Astrid has been approved as a contact person between OSGeoLive and Marketing committee to help with the printing process. Budget should be assigned to Marketing for printing the USB sticks.
|Meta CRS||Long standing initiative, formed as a project to take advantage of early OSGeo infrastructure
2018: Critical group for our interoperability goal, ask participants if they need any assistance
|Trave; Grant Program||20,000||10,000||20,000||New initiative taken on by the conference committee:
- 2017: Travel grant program for foss4g a success, global travel grant program as 6k remaining funds to use in 2017 - 2018: Guidance: Ask conference chair for update, unclear how to handle funds raised across annual budget
|Website / Rebranding||40,000||50,000||2017: One time activity with marketing committee and OSGeo board, successful fundraising to meet budget requirement|
OSGeo Projects each have a project steering committee, the chair of which is acknowledged as a foundation officer.
- Note this is a budget, representing planned spending in 2018 - actual balance available to each PSC (from fundraising, donations and sponsorship) should be considered when planning.
- Anita has organized initial to collect feedback from all PSCs concerning planned event sponsorship requests:
|OSGeo Project||2016||2017||2017 Actual||2018 Draft||Notes|
|GeoMOOSE||3,000||Spending 2017: TODO
Plans 2018: TODO
|GeoServer||500||Planning was focused on sprint, $500 used for developer travel|
|GRASS||1,500||1592.85||5000||Spending 2017: Itemized Budget 2017 (as of 21 Oct 2017)
Plans 2018: Itemized Budget 2017 (sprints, travel for developers, marketing)
|MapGuide Open Source|
|MapServer||2,000||2017: 5000 request with 3000 going to c-tribe code sprint (see next section)
|OpenLayers||2,000||0||2,000||Spending 2017: TODO
Plans 2018: One codesprint
Plans 2018: TODO Code Sprint, Developer Meeting
|pycsw||2,000||2,000||Spending 2017: Pending approval from PSC about spending ~1200 within December
Plans 2018: Fund Project Officer to reach AGM, Code sprint expenses and some promotional materials (e.g. t-shirts)
|MapGuide Open Source|
|QGIS||3,000||3,500||3,500||Spending 2017: User Conference and Developer Meeting (Voting) |
Plans 2018: TODO
Community projects, including those in incubation, are included in the incubation committee budget:
|Community Project||2016||2017||2017 Actual||2018 Draft||Notes|
|ZOO-Project||2,000||2,000||3,000||Spending 2017: FOSS4G Boston attendance
2018: Guidance: coordinate with incubation committee
|PyWPS||2,000||Spending 2017: 0,-
Plans 2018: 2000e Bonn code sprint
|pgRouting||500||Spending 2017: $0
We have asked project teams for guidance to help set our code sprint budget:
- please note our Code Sprint Guidelines ask for event details, budget and fundraising on your part.
- Code sprint funding is setup to help carry funds from one event to the next allowing us to hold more code-sprints with a smaller annual budget.
- Out priority is to share the risk with organizers allowing access to funds early to book facilities as required
- We had requests to fund sprints that were part of larger events, these escaped our 2017 planning but were still funded to the best of our abilities
|Sprint Request||2016||2017||Actual||2018 Draft||Notes|
|general code-sprint budget||12,500||2017: 17,500 was budgeted across all projects
2018: broken out by project below
|MapServer||5,000 EUR||3,000||3,000||Paris 2016: Paris_Code_Sprint_2016 (Paris_Code_Sprint_2016_:_Budget budget|
|GeoServer||2,000||2,000||3,000||2,000||Spending 2016: GeoServer_Code_Sprint_2016 |
|GLTN Sprint||3,000||2017: Request from our strategic partnership with UN global land tools network: (Voting). Since it was not budgeted for up front expenses were split between outreach (because partnership) and code-sprint budget|
|FOSS4GE Code Sprint||1,000||0||2017: Unplanned request to cover food at FOSS4GE event: (Voting), ended up being covered by event surplus.|
|OSGeo Annual Code Sprint||5,000||OSGEo code sprint Bonn March 2018 see https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:OSGeo_Code_Sprint_2018|