OSGeo Multilanguage Dictionary
This page is a proposal
Multi-language OSGeo dictionary
The scope is to collect over the years geo* related terms in a multi-language style to facilitate reading/writing in other languages, to help with software internationalization, to help when writing proposals in non-mother-tongue languages (like me who has to write in Italian) etc.
Example (this would be a dictionary software then):
EN: landscape genetics IT: genetica del paesaggio DE: Landschaftsgenetik ...
Since we are an excellent group of experts covering many languages, we could run this as long-term Edu project.
Once a reasonable amount of terms is available, download should be enabled in Docbook or other formats.
We could use the Wiktionary software (http://www.wiktionary.org/ | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary) and keep it just running. Possibly an OSGeo hacker could also fetch translations from Wikipedia from a handcrafted terms collection of terms to populate an initial dictionary (using the box on the left side which references translations).
- Wiktionary is just using MediaWiki as all other WikiMedia sites (and this OSGeo wiki too). So, very easy to run.--steko 06:29, 13 November 2007 (EST)
Proposed host URL: http://geodictionary.osgeo.org
Proposed license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
- Markus Neteler (proposer)
- Landon Blake (A.K.A. - The Sunburned Surveyor)
- Marie Silvestre
- Venkatesh Raghavan
- Clara Tattoni
- Mateusz Loskot (possibly, with help from Agata Loskot)
- Vasile Crăciunescu
- Book in progress: "Handbook of Geospatial Technology: For Analysis and Modeling" (Springer New York) by Mitasova, Neteler, Mitchell, Olaya: terminology used in the book will be defined via this dictionary