Board Meeting 2010-12-16

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search


This board meeting is scheduled for the 16th of December 2010 at 17:00 UTC, on IRC (#osgeo and follow-up Skype call to vote on motions).


Agenda

  • Review past minutes: Board Meeting 2010-11-18
    • Main action items:
      • Valid 1. ACTION ITEM: Frank to post (geomajas) announcement to news channels. Copy Pieter's
      • Valid 2. ACTION ITEM: Tyler add CGS MOU to wiki - done, see bottom of this
      • Valid 3. ACTION ITEM: Tyler to ask Ari and give names to Suchith for OSGL board - Ari agreed, Suchith accepted - done list of OSGL committee members
      • Valid 4. ACTION ITEM: Tyler to follow up with Suchith to coordinate another stakeholders meeting following OSGIS - done - planning started
      • Valid 5. ACTION ITEM: Tyler to draft up rough agenda for an OSGeo-OGC day at OSGIS, circulate with others on board, circulate to OGC reps, follow up with Suchith. - done - see planning page and official program now
      • 6. ACTION ITEM: Tyler to edit changes to letter of support process to reflect board discussion.
  • SAC report on backup strategy and security concept (security updates etc.)
  • FOSS4G2011 update
  • Approve Romanian Local Chapter request letter
  • Possibility for OSGeo to hold money for one of its local chapters (See Daniel's email to board list)

Minutes

Action Summary

  1. MOTION: Arnulf moved to adopt past meeting minutes, Jeff seconded, all were in favour
  2. TODO: Arnulf to discuss the issue of local chapter objectives on the local chapters list and follow up with Vasile (re: Romanian LC application) http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/local-chapters
  3. TODO: Tyler and Tim to look at Paypal button for OpenLayers donations toward project sponsorship
  4. TODO: Daniel to tweak his (OSGeo holding funds for chapters) ideas into a wiki page, and follow up with the other LCs to see how many might be interested in using this facility.
  • Next meeting: January 20th, 2011

Detailed Minutes

  1. Reviewed past minutes: Board Meeting 2010-11-18
    1. Some discussion of copyright and who/how it is assigned in various projects. Arnulf hopes next incubation committee meeting could discuss some of these issues.
    2. Lots of action items done this past month, as noted in agenda. Arnulf suggested to review some older items in the future to see what's left undone.
    3. MOTION: Arnulf moved to adopt past meeting minutes, Jeff seconded, all were in favour
  2. SAC report on backup strategy and security concept ( security updates etc. ) (Arnulf)
    1. Arnulf had questions about OSGeo SAC backup strategy. General discussion about approaches. A couple wiki pages pointed to SAC:Backups and SAC Service Status
    2. Some discussion of possibly paying someone to help with aspects of SAC that aren't easily done by volunteers.
    3. SAC chair wants to resign, Webcom chair too but no one else stepped up yet to take over.
  3. FOSS4G2011 update (Jeff, Tyler)
    1. TylerM: Two things... logo chosen, sponsorship prospectus almost ready... waiting on Peter.
    2. jmckenna: i aded the foss4g topic, just for a quick update. things are a little slow moving ( chair, peter, was/is in sydney australia )..but i expect it to get moving fast shortly
    3. Some nervousness about progress, but logo, prospectus and website are on track to get released this week.
    4. Winning logo: http://www.crowdspring.com/project/2290223_foss4g-denver-2011/voting/?key=b4953432380d8cab1dd439184d0f6fd0#
  4. Approve Romanian Local Chapter request letter
    1. More general local chapter questions/discussion came up. Re: Romanian chapter there were questions about the role that geo-spatial.org site plays into their goals - e.g. are they going to be an open source centric chapter, or also promote non-foss (as per that site)?
    2. FrankW: I am somewhat unclear if the chapter is specifically an OSGeo chapter, or if it is really a geospatial interest group including open source and proprietary.
    3. danmo: do we have a policy that a chapter should be exclusively about OSGeo? Not all current chapters may meet that requirement
    4. Lots of discussion about roles and missions of local chapters and the broader benefits of OSGeo gaining exposure through various channels and vice versa.
    5. Probably would not have been this discussion if they only pointed to the wiki and not the external site.
    6. TODO: Arnulf to discuss the issue of local chapter objectives on the local chapters list and follow up with Vasile. http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/local-chapters
  5. Possibility for OSGeo to hold money for one of its local chapters ( See Daniel's email to board list http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2010-December/003714.html)
    1. General agreement that it would be good if OSGeo could help chapters this way, with clear delineations as in the email.
    2. Question of how it lines up with 501c3 rules for dispersements
    3. Other concerns is logistical re: keeping banking manageable.
    4. TODO: Tyler and Tim to look at Paypal button for OpenLayers donations toward project sponsorship
    5. TODO: Daniel to tweak his ideas into a wiki page, and follow up with the other LCs to see how many might be interested in using this facility.
  • Next meeting: January 20th, 2011