Open Geoscience Committee
The idea for the committee was conceived during a EGU-themed birds of a feather meeting at the FOSS4G-Europe in Como, Italy on July 16 2015
There is currently no established interface between the OSGeo communities and geoscience organisations like the American Geoscience Union (AGU) or the European Geoscience Union (EGU). At the same time OSGeo members publish their scientific work, which is based on FOSS and open data, within such organisations, often without being aware of each other. Further, students and young scientists who are using FOSS as a base for their work need information on how to share this work and reap the recognition within Academia which they deserve.
Within geoscience, the new role model of "Open Science" or "Science 2.0" is emerging. Many desiderata for future "open scientists", including publication of both the data and software, active international networking and reach out to industry and society are already common practice within OSGeo. Therefore OSGeo can provide guidance by best practices on how these practices can be established within Academia.
- Launch the discussion how to address "Open Geoscience" among all stakeholders within OSGeo.
- Development of best practices within and beyond OSGeo.
- Establish communication with scientific communities such as EGU and AGU.
- Create working groups on specific open geoscience topics
- through the OpenGeoscience mailing list (subscribe)
- conf calls are held via the OSGeo slack channel. Slack uses text based communication (similar to ICQ)
- Open_Lunar_Science_Working_Group (tentative)
- Best practices for use of persistent identifiers (DOI, ORCID etc.) in OSGeo (tentative)
- OSGeo OpenGeoscience Award 2018
- Peter Löwe, Founding Member [Chair]
- Massimilano Cannata, Founding Member [Co-Chair]
- Margherita Di Leo, Founding Member
- Jeff McKenna, Founding Member
- Phillip Davis, Member Geo For All Education Committee
- Maria Brovelli, GeoForAll Europa Chair
- Christian Strobl (German Remote Sensing Data Center, DLR-DFD)
- Raffaele Albano, Member
FOSS related conferences/sessions are listed at this page
Holding the 1st "charter" of the committee. On that paper was written: "Open Geoscience Committee: an entry for Open Source geoscience topics."