The project incubation committee is responsible for overseeing the incubation process for new projects entering the foundation. The incubation committee provides resources to assist new projects to reach full membership, and makes recommendations to the board when they feel projects have completed incubation.
- 1 About the Incubation Committee
- 2 Documents
- 3 Meetings and Reports
- 4 Incubator
- 5 Projects Currently In Incubation
- 6 Graduated
- 7 Withdrawn
- 8 OSGeo Community Projects
About the Incubation Committee
The OSGeo Incubation Committee is responsible for:
- OSGeo website project review
- Reviewing applications to list projects on the OSGeo website
- Preparing and recommend criteria and review process for projects to be listed on the OSGeo website
- Community project program
- Reviewing community project applications and recommending projects to the board to be accepted as community projects
- Reporting on the status of projects in the community project program to the board periodically (via Chair)
- Preparing and recommending community project process and criteria to the board.
- OSGeo Incubation
- Reviewing applications for incubation and making recommendations to the board on projects that should be admitted into incubation.
- Appointing mentors for incubation projects.
- Reviewing progress of projects against incubation requirements, and recommending projects for full project status to the board, when deemed appropriate.
- Reporting on the status of projects in incubation and the incubation process to the board periodically (via Chair).
- Preparing and recommending incubation process and criteria to the board.
The OSGeo incubation committee is not responsible for OSGeo Projects, who report directly to the board via their project officer.
Volunteers Welcome - if you would like to take part we are always looking for new members, sign up to the email list, and introduce yourself to volunteer.
- Bruce Bannerman
- Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
- Landon Blake
- Howard Butler
- Arnulf Christl
- Jo Cook
- Jody Garnett (chair)
- Dimitris Kotzinos
- Tom Kralidis
- Julien-Samuel Lacroix
- Mark Lucas
- Steve Lime
- Daniel Morissette
- Markus Schneider
- Cameron Shorter
- Norman Vine
- Frank Warmerdam
Thanks you - we ask that volunteers remain active, joining the discussion and voting on the email list. If you are unable to take part please send us an email. As volunteers we understand that life can get in the way of advocacy – you are welcome to rejoin at any time. We will also retire inactive members as needed. Prior members:
- Robert Bray
- Chris Holmes
- Judit Mays
- Jeff McKenna
- Markus Neteler
- Paul Spencer
- Jeroen Ticheler
The incubation committee operates within the OSGeo committee guidelines, operating in a close working relationship with the OSGeo board as reflected in our responsibilities above.
- Voting members: Voting members are maintained on this page as outlined below. This committee is volunteer based with committee member ship driven by email request to be added or removed. Inactive members (see below) are removed as needed to preserve committee function.
- Project mentors: Have volunteered to represent our organization at a personal level as a guest on the projects email list and meetings. Project mentors are responsible for recommending when a project is ready for graduation based on this first hand experience. For more information see mentor guidelines.
- Committee chair: Committee chair appointed by motion, result forward to the board for approval and recognition as an officer of the foundation. Committee chair is responsible for operation of the committee.
- Communication: This committee operates on the incubator mailing list. With the occasional breakout IRC meeting, hangout, or phone call to explore specific issues.
- Decision making: Decision making is performed by email motion. Motions are held open for a two week period. Each motion requires a 50% quorum within the two week period. Voting consists of +1 (approval), +0 (slight agreement), -0 (slight disagreement), -1 (against). The committee chair is responsible for replying to the email thread with voting results and motion resolution.
- Email motions should be clearly worded and have a subject line “Motion:”.
- Motions are held open for a two week period to give everyone a chance to respond, this accounts for volunteers that are only available on weekends.
- At discretion of the chair a motion may be held open longer than two weeks.
- If a motion does not gather a 50% response within a two week period we may need to revisit our active member list – removing members that have not voted within the last year.
- Voting +0 and -0 are a good way to reach quorum for volunteers that have not had a chance to follow the discussion.
- There is no veto in the incubation committee, but we tend to respect -1 votes and withdraw motions that are divisive. It is noted that when reviewing graduation checklists -1 votes tend to track outstanding issues that are then addressed within the voting period.
- Independence: Our mandate is focused on providing to the OSGeo board as outlined above.
subject: motion: accept blink as a community project The following motion has been made by Landon Blake: Motion to accept Blink Raster as an community project. This motion is held open for two weeks closing January 29th, requiring 50% quorum, from the following incubation committee members: - Bruce Bannerman - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques - Landon Blake +1 initial motion - Howard Butler - Arnulf Christl - Jody Garnett - Dimitris Kotzinos - Tom Kralidis - Julien-Samuel Lacroix - Mark Lucas - Steve Lime - Daniel Morissette - Markus Schneider - Cameron Shorter - Norman Vine - Frank Warmerdam
A subsequent email will be sent when the motion is completed, either by the elapsed time period, or by unanimous consent before the closing period.
- Official incubator public web page is at: http://osgeo.org/incubator/index.html (with members list).
- Incubation FAQ
- Incubation process docs: http://osgeo.org/incubator/process/index.html (original wiki draft documents)
- Incubation Badges
Draft or Example Documents
- Draft Commiter Responsibilities Guidelines
- OSGeo Distribution and Committer [licenses which can be used as is, or as an example for projects starting off with participatory open source.
- Contributor Agreement and FAQ
- Incubation Phases proposal
Document Refresh 2014
- OSGeo Labs - for OSGeo related projects that haven't reached incubation status
- List of Project Steering Committees
- Project Infrastructure Migration
- Producing OSS - by Karl Fogel - an excellent primer on running an FOSS project.
- 5-star-rating - discussion about more fine incubation procedure
Meetings and Reports
- First Meeting - March 13th 2006
- Second Meeting - March 20th 2006
- Third Meeting - March 27th 2006
- Fourth Meeting - April 10th 2006
- Fifth Meeting - April 24th 2006
- Sixth Meeting - June 19th 2006
- Seventh Meeting - August 7th 2006
- Eighth Meeting - October 30th 2006
- Nineth Meeting - February 12th 2007
- Tenth Meeting - June 11th 2007
- Eleventh Meeting - October 29th 2007
- Twelfth Meeting - September 8th 2008
- Thirteenth Meeting - October 29th 2009
- Fourteenth Meeting - March 1th 2010
- IncCom Meeting15 - Nov 21 2011
- IncCom Meeting16 - Jan 17 2012
- IncCom Meeting17 - March 19 2012
- IncCom Meeting18 - May 21 2012
- IncCom Meeting19 - July 23 2012
- IncCom Meeting20 - Sep 24 2012
- IncCom Meeting21 - Feb 18 2013
- IncCom Report22 - 2013 Q2
- IncCom Report23 - 2013 Q3
- IncCom Report24 - 2014 Q1
- Fall 2014 Committee Report for OSGeo Journal
The OSGeo incubation process takes place in three stages:
- Initial Application
- Project Status: project details, and a few resourcing questions for the system admin committee (see Project Status Template).
- Provenance Review: quick check to ensure the project is open source and has permission to distribute its source code.
- Final Checklist: review the project procedures and gather requested information for OSGeo participation
The following projects are currently in OSGeo incubation. The links provided are used to track the progress of incubation projects and are used by the developer team (and OSGeo mentor). In many cases the links will take you to a project specific wiki or website in order to be closer to their target community.
When projects have completed the incubation checklist their mentor will recommend them to the Incubation committee for graduation.
Projects Currently In Incubation
- MetaCRS Incubation Status
- no provenance review provided
- no check list provided
- Mentor: Daniel Morissette
- Opticks Incubation Status
- no provenance review provided
- Opticks Incubation Checklist
- Mentor: Mark Lucas
TEAM Engine: http://teamengine.sourceforge.net
- status template not filled out
- no provenance review provided
- no check list provided
- Mentor: Justin Deoliveira
- Provenance Review
- ZOO-Project Incubation Checklist
- Mentor: Dimitris Kotzinos
The following status and provenance documents are for historical purposes, and are no longer actively maintained.
- Community Mapbuilder: Community Mapbuilder Incubation Progress | Community Mapbuilder Provenance Review (Entered 2006-02-04, Graduated 2006-07-14, Mentor: Steve Lime)
- deegree: deegree Incubation Status | deegree Provenance Review (Entered: 2008-06-09, Graduated 2010-02-04, Mentor: Jody Garnett)
- FDO: FDO Incubation Status | FDO Provenance Review (Entered 2007-03-06, Graduated 2008-02-08, Mentor: Daniel Morissette)
- GEOS: GEOS Incubation Status | GEOS Provenance Review (Entered 2007-11-02, Graduated 2012-04-28, Mentor: Frank Warmerdam)
- GDAL/OGR: GDAL Incubation Progress | GDAL Provenance Review (Entered 2006-02-04, Graduated 2008-02-08, Mentor: Paul Spencer)
- Geomajas: GeoMajas Incubation Status | GeoMajas Provenance Review (Entered 2010-03-04, Graduated 2010-11-22, Mentor: Paul Spencer)
- GeoNetwork: GeoNetwork Incubation Status | GeoNetwork Provenance Review (Entered 2006-11-10, Graduated 2008-06-21, Mentor: Jody Garnett)
- GeoNode: GeoNode Incubation Status GeoNode Provenance Review GeoNode Incubation Checklist (Entered 2015-08-13, Graduated 2016-11-09, Mentor: David Bitner)
- GeoMOOSE: GeoMoose Incubation Status | GeoMoose Provenance Review | GeoMoose Incubation Checklist (Entered 2011-12-08, Graduated 2013-04-19, Mentor: Jody Garnett)
- GeoTools: GeoTools Incubation Progress | GeoTools Provenance Review (Entered 2006-02-27, Graduated 2008-07-18, Mentor: Cameron Shorter)
- GeoServer: Incubation Questionnaire | Incubation Status | Provenance Review | Incubation Checklist | Geoserver Mentor Notes (Entered 2009-11-05, Graduated 2013-03-15, Mentor: Landon Blake)
- gvSIG: gvSIG Incubation Status | gvSIG Provenance Review | gvSIG Incubation Checklist (Entered 2007-09-07, Graduated 2015-11-26, Mentor: Dimitris Kotzinos)
- GRASS: GRASS Incubation Progress | GRASS Provenance Review (Entered 2006-02-27, Graduated 2008-02-08, Mentor: Norman Vine and Arnulf Christl)
- Mapbender: Mapbender Incubation Progress | Mapbender Provenance Review (Entered 2006-02-04, Graduated 2006-07-15, Mentor: Paul Spencer)
- MapFish: MapFish Incubation Status | MapFish Provenance Review (Entered 2009-11-09, Graduated 2011-09-01, Mentor: Gary Sherman)
- MapGuide Open: MapGuide Incubation Status | MapGuide Provenance Review (Entered 2006-02-04, Graduated 2007-03-02, Mentor: Daniel Morissette)
- MapServer: MapServer incubation status | MapServer Provenance Review (Entered 2006-02-04, Graduated 2008-12-16, Mentor: Chris Holmes)
- Marble: Marble Incubation Status | Marble Code Provenance Review | Marble Graduation Checklist (Entered 2012-10-12, Graduated 2013-10-17, Mentor: Arnulf Christl)
- OpenLayers: OpenLayers Incubation Status | OpenLayers Provenance Review (Entered 2006-11-10, Graduated 2007-11-16, Mentor: Howard Butler)
- Orfeo ToolBox (OTB): OTB Project Incubation Status | OTB Code Provenance Review (Entered 2009-10-26, Graduated 2017-07-20, Mentor: Landon Blake)
- PostGIS: PostGIS Incubation Status | PostGIS Provenance Review (Entered 2009-08-06, Graduated 2012-06-07, Mentor: Arnulf Christl)
- pycsw: Incubation Status | Graduation Checklist | Provenance Review (Entered 2013-03-30, Graduated 2015-03-05, Mentor: Jeff McKenna)
- PyWPS: Incubation Status | Graduation Checklist | Provenance Review (Entered 2009-02-27, Graduated 2018-04-11, Mentor: Tom Kralidis)
- OSSIM: OSSIM incubation status | OSSIM Provenance Review (Entered 2006-02-27, Graduated 2009-06-02, Mentor: Richard Gould)
- QGIS: QGIS Incubation Status | QGIS Provenance Review (Entered 2007-03-02, Graduated 2008-03-14, Mentor: Bob Bray)
The initial projects to go through the incubation process helped define what is required. The above pages tracked the progress (and capture the experience) of these projects.
The following projects did not complete incubation:
- rasdaman: : rasdaman Incubation Status | Code Provenance | Incubation Checklist (Mentor Bruce Bannerman )
OSGeo Community Projects
The Incubation Committee also assists OSGeo Community Projects.